Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Being Happy (part 1)

Things to do:
1. Be happy

So, I've had a change of heart (or rather change of perception), and I've decided to be happy. It's not like I was trying to be unhappy, and I know most people don't just 'decide' they are going to be happy but I think I did. There is just no reason, for me, to be sad. Yes, some things could be better. There could be less of this, and more of that, But, in perspective, I'm young, it's summer, I'm getting paid to do really cool research, I get to be wacky and weird and see my best friends all the time, I get to write and jam out to music everyday. How could I not be happy?

It's best for your health to be happy. Stress takes years away from your life and who doesn't want to try to live into their hundreds? I know I sure do.

My current plan for being happy, though I really don't think about it like 'a plan', it more just happens:
1) people are stupid/annoying/rude/can't drive to save their lives
solution: laugh, smile, shake your head (either only in your head, silently, or out loud *if you are in your car for example). Don't get annoyed, just laugh it off. I've found, my own laugh makes me laugh so it's a good positive feedback loop.

2) Surround myself with positive things (that includes thoughts in your head)
I know I have triggers--websites, books, songs, people, that just don't make me very happy. So, I've decrease their role in my life. I've basically cut out facebook because I've found that no matter how happy I am, when I start scrolling through other people's lives I have a tendency to get sad or lonely. So why do it?
I'm my own worst critic, so I've dialed back the self criticisms. My weight's not great, but I'm eating healthier and doing exercise so why beat myself up over it?
Writing, listening to music and tumblr make me quite happy, so they have become daily activities.
Blasting music and singing like crazy makes me insanely happy. So, every time I get in the car you can bet the music will be turned on and my voice will be heard. (Today it was slightly raining, but there I was: windows down, song playing, singing along and smiling. I think one guy I was sitting next to in traffic was chuckling at me but I just smiled back at him and carried on with my singing. Because, why not?

3) Don't do things that don't make me happy
Though there are some exceptions (like waking up at 7am), it's a good rule. I sometimes will do things (like go to a party or some social event) because I feel obligated but why do that when I could be, say, sitting on the bleachers with my best friend? Usually these things that I feel like I have to do are minute and insignificant but still, cutting them out makes me, at least, feel better.

4) Switching things up
Three quarters of my day is set, and there really isn't anything I can do about that. I have to drive to work, be at work, then drive home. I can't really take a different route, so it's the same thing every day. I change that up with music and looking around at the people in the car's around me. BUT, I do have a say in what I do once I pull into the driveway, and not doing the same thing five days a week really makes a difference.

5) Making time for friends
Being tired after work decreased my desire to go out when I got home. But, seeing my friends is always fun and I can sleep when I'm old.

6) Smiling randomly
If I realize I'm lost in thought I will just start smiling and lightly laughing and think about things I'm looking forward too or recent adventures or anything happy.

A recommended song: Gone in the Morning by Newton Faulker

Until next time,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment